At the start of last year, I was in a tight spot.
I’m a freelance writer, and my steady flow of work had slowed down and dried up. In February 2014, I made just over $7,000. In February 2015, however, I made just under $2,000. That’s a 70% pay cut when compared to the previous year’s earnings.
With my income declining rapidly to the point at which it was well below my cost of living — one of the tricky aspects of living in Tokyo is that it’s one of the most expensive cities to live in — I was forced to take action.
I did what most freelancers did: I sent out email after email to my old clients.
The results were weak, one small project and a one-off gig.
So I decided to try something a little different and turned my shortage of work into an interesting marketing experiment.
From my own experience, and speaking with other freelancers, it seems like the typical freelancer’s response to a shortage of work plays out like this:
- After a few weeks without a project, begin to worry, and start contacting old clients.
- If that doesn’t work, start sending out cold email after cold email to new prospects.
- If there’s no response, go for low-budget jobs on sites like Upwork or Freelancer.com.
- Panic. Offer a huge discount to the prospects you meet, trapping yourself in the low-pay/low-reward freelance cycle that so many talented people end up being stuck in.
Basic analysis of this strategy shows that it doesn’t work. I know because I’ve experienced it myself, as have many of my friends who also freelance for a living. The truth is that low rates don’t sell. At least not with the type of awesome, high-quality clients you want.
A far stronger approach to getting more work and increasing your income is to focus on getting high-quality clients by selling to them really, really well.
It’s the “more wood behind fewer arrows” approach. Market your service to fewer prospective clients, but put much more effort into each one of them. I learned this concept from entrepreneur and business-growth advisor Bryan Harris (founder of Videofruit) who used it to market his video creation service to tech companies. The main idea is to offer so much value that it’s impossible for any prospective client to ignore you.
Sending Out Handwritten Letters
Here’s what I did to get my freelancing business going again.
Instead of sending cold emails, which are effective in bulk but have a terrible response rate, I snail-mailed handwritten letters to all of the companies I wanted to work with. The letters were mailed to design and digital marketing agencies throughout the U.S.
In total, I sent out just over 100 letters, half of which were hand-addressed, and half of which were written entirely by hand.
All of the letters contained this exact same message:
Hi [person’s name],Do you work with freelance writers at [company’s name]?
I ask because I am a freelance writer from New Zealand and I would love to work with you. I write for big tech companies like [mention one of my previous clients], as well as small to mid-sized agencies. I can write press releases, blog posts, articles, website content, landing pages and more.
My content is extremely good and very modestly priced.
I understand you’re probably suspicious of letters you receive from strangers, so to ease your concerns I would be happy to write a few custom samples for you, free of charge.
If you’re interested, just send a letter to my return address.
Just kidding! You can email me at [my email address]. That’s definitely more convenient.
Looking forward to working out how I can help you in your role at [company’s name].
Along with the letter, I also included:
- My business card
- A page containing testimonials from my existing clients
- Samples of my work
To find the right people to contact, I manually went through the Google results for search terms like “digital agency in [some city]” and found the person in charge of content and public relations. I tracked down their LinkedIn profile to check that they were the right person to contact, then wrote the letter and mailed it to them.
Since I was sending the letters from Japan, they were packaged in Japan Post envelopes with a Japanese postage stamp. I’m sure the novelty of receiving a hand-addressed letter from another country was one reason for the campaign’s success, since it instantly inspires curiosity.
All in all, I received 14 responses from the slightly more than 100 letters I sent out. It cost me about $200 to ship out all the letters, so it ended up being roughly $14 per lead.
Of the 14 responses, one made a significant 5-figure order and two others made small 3-figure deals with me. The 5-figure client has grown into one of my most important clients today.
I also followed up over the phone with the clients that didn’t respond to the letter. Almost all of them reported that they were amused and surprised about receiving a letter from a writer on the other side of the world, and many said I would be first in line for any extra writing work they had available in the future.
As a writer, letters are a great strategy. For designers, I think they’re even better. Imagine if you could put your favorite portfolio items right in front of a client on beautiful card paper instead of emailing them a link to your online portfolio or Dribbble account, hoping that they’ll click through and browse through your work.
If I were a freelance designer, I would try mailing out pop-up books with website layouts, cards with sample logos and testimonials from happy clients. As a developer, you can use the exact same strategy I did, but mention your previous development work instead of written content.
The point of all this is that sometimes it’s better to use “old fashioned” technology to market yourself, especially in an industry like design and development where the vast majority of marketing is done online.
Simply by doing something different, you can stand out in a very good way.
Since I started doing this in early-2015, I’ve had a steady flow of clients from the letters I’ve sent out. My rates are back to where they were before, and on occasion even better than before.
If you’re ever short on project work and can’t get a response with the typical way of cold-emailing prospective clients, give handwritten letters a try. It’s old fashioned, it’s unique, and it’s exactly what you need to do to get the attention of great clients and give your freelance business the push it needs.
Nick Gibson is a freelance writer who specializes in writing content for tech companies and marketing agencies. Originally from New Zealand, he’s currently based in Japan. Contact Nick through his website: njgibson.com.
Monthly Popular Posts
- Dalam Waktu Dekat Chrome Bakal Block Video Bersuara yang Diputar Secara Otomatis
- Bio Instagram Kini Bisa Ditambahkan Hashtag dan Link Profil
- Live Streaming YouTube Kini Bisa Juga Melalui Komputer Desktop
- Kecam Praktik Pengumpulan Data Facebook, Pendiri WhatsApp Ikut Gerakan #DeleteFacebook
- YouTube Versi Web Bakal Punya Fitur Mode Picture-In-Picture?
- How to Add a New Sidebar to WordPress Using the register_sidebar Function
- The Top 10 WordPress Page Builder Plugins
- 15 WordPress SEO Tips to Boost Your Search Engine Rankings
- What the WordPress ‘do_shortcode’ Function Is (And How to Use It)
- How to Add Custom WordPress Fonts the Correct Way
- How to Become a WordPress Developer (In 6 Steps)
- How to Set Up and Use Google Tag Manager in WordPress (In 4 Steps)
- 4 Ways to Fix the ‘Are you sure you want to do this? Please try again’ Error in WordPress
- How to Become a Web Developer
- MANAGEENGINE : Endpoint Security & Management Workshop 2018
- ProtonVPN: Satu Servis VPN Yang Semakin Matang
- 000webhost Selected as HostingAdvice’s 2018 Featured Expert
- Pewdipie Vs T-Series : Pengakhiran Takhta Sang Raja Youtube?
- MyTV Tiada Siaran? Adakah Ia Akan Ditamatkan?
- CyberGhost VPN: Servis VPN Elit Dengan Sedikit Kepincangan
- Winamp 5.8 Dilepaskan Secara Rasmi Dengan Sokongan Windows 10
- Mozilla Bekerjasama Dengan ProtonVPN Bagi Menawarkan Plan Langganan VPN Premium
- Ubuntu 18.10: Adakah Berbaloi Menggunakannya?
- Winamp Akan Membuat Kemunculan Semula Pada Tahun 2019
- Ulasan: Audra Internet Business Security
- Beginilah Cara Mendengarkan Musik Spotify Melalui Browser PC
- MyTV Mula Beroperasi Semula
- Cara Melaporkan Akaun Palsu Di Facebook
- Showbox Mengikut Jejak Langkah Dan Nasib Terrarium TV
- Cara Mendaftar Akaun Profil Di Forum 4PDA
- Lazada Slash Dan 11.11 Sales 2018 : Kegembiraan Dibalas Penipuan
- WatchSoMuch: Pengganti Seven Torrents
- Best Black Friday & Cyber Monday Web Hosting Deals 2018
- What is the ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error and how to fix it?
- How to Monetize a Website
- Ketahui Kata Laluan WiFi Berhampiran Dengan Mudah
- 7 VPN Terbaik Pilihan OMG Hackers 
- Best 9 Domain Name Generators
- Best 10 Favicon Generators: Create a Favicon for Free
- Ulasan Private Internet Access: Murah, Ringkas, Dengan Sedikit Kelemahan
- 10 Alternatif Sumber Terbuka Dan Percuma Bagi Perisian Komersial
- Best HTML editors of 2018
- [Tips Dan Tutor] Cara Mendapatkan Storan Awan 10GB Dengan Nextcloud
- [Tips Dan Tutor] Filemail.com: Hantar Fail Bersaiz Hingga 50GB Melalui Emel
- [Tutorial] Send Anywhere: Alternatif Terbaik Bagi Tujuan Pemindahan Fail
- Maxis Melancarkan Hotlink Postpaid Flex Plus Disertakan Dengan Telefon Pintar
- Everything: Pencarian Fail Terpantas Dengan Tool Percuma
- WE ARE DOING OUR PART TO SAVE YOUTUBE. Now it’s your turn
- How to Write a Good Meta Description?
- Strim YouTube Menggunakan MPC-HC
- Cara Memuat Turun Video Dari Netflix Dengan Mudah
- How to Come Up With Blog Ideas
- Best Online Grammar Checkers of 2019
- The Best HTML Web Fonts to Use in 2019
- 7 Best Platforms to Learn Coding for Free
- What Is a Blog and Why Should You Start One?
- How to Add a Youtube Subscribe Button to Your Website?
- Apa Itu HEVC?
- Best Free Photo Editor 2019
- Printing Baju Fans Hilmy Ashley Maharaja Lawak Mega 2018
- 12 Tips Memilih Android Box 
- Free Advertising Ideas for Your Business
- Apa Itu WEB-DL?
- How to Remove Query Strings from Static Resources
- 5 Best Blog Name Generators
- Best Free and Paid Website Design Software and Tools
- How To Start an Online Store For Free?
- Top 10 Online Business Ideas to Start in 2019
- 10 Laman Sesawang Terbaik Bagi Menggantikan Aplikasi Desktop
- Best 4 WordPress Gallery Plugins Compared
- Best Free FTP Clients
- How To Start A Podcast
- FlareGet Download Manager: Inilah Alternatif Dan Pengganti IDM
- 7 Tips Dan Trik Bagi Android Box: Maksimumkan Fungsi Peranti
- 7 Laman Torrent Pilihan OMG Hackers Bagi Tahun 2019
- DesignCap: Cipta Poster Profesional Melalui Atas Talian Dengan Mudah
- Asian TV HD: Strim Saluran Televisyen Asia Di Telefon Dan Android Box Anda
- 7 Web Design Trends for 2019
- 6 Best Places to Learn HTML
- Nyahpasang Bloatware Pada Windows 10 Dengan O&O App Buster
- How to Remove Background in Photoshop
- Leonflix: Alternatif Terrarium TV Bagi Pengguna PC
- Wedding Website Examples and How to Create One
- Tips Menonton YouTube Di Televisyen Dengan Lebih Efisien
- Best Places to Learn CSS
- How to Choose a Good Domain Name?
- Top Google Adsense Alternatives
- How to Create a Portfolio Website
- How to Make Phone Number Clickable
- Cara Mengintegrasi Nano Defender Kepada uBlock Origin
- 10 Ways to Increase WordPress Security
- Cara Pasang Kodi 18.1 ‘Leia’ Pada Ubuntu Atau Linux Mint
- How to Register a Domain Name
- Cara Pasang No Limits Magic Build Pada Kodi 18
- Best Recourses to Learn WordPress
- How Much Does a WordPress Site Cost?
- Tips Memulakan Saluran YouTube Bagi YouTuber Baru
- 11 Types of Blogs: Which Is The Best Choice for You?
- How to Copyright a Website?
- 5 Extension/Addon Terbaik Bagi Menjaga Privasi
- How to Design A Website for Your Business
- How to Host a Website for Free?
- 5 Best Blog Examples to Get You Inspired
- What Is Alt Text and Why Is It Important?
- Future of Web Development in the Year 2019
- Jom Dual Boot Windows Dengan Ubuntu
- The Ultimate Guide to Email Marketing Services + Bonus Tips
- 5 Best Free Image Hosting Sites
- Apa Itu Codec AV1 Dan Bagaimana Cara Mengaktifkannya Pada YouTube
- 6 Best eCommerce Platforms for Your Online Business
- How to Fight Writer’s Block
- Why Should I Start a Blog? Bonus: Start a Blog for Free
- 18 Best Affiliate Marketing Programs: Make Money Online
- How to Monetize a Blog: a Guide for Beginners
- How to be a Better Writer: 12 Writing Tips to Help You Improve as a Blogger
- How to Submit a Website to Search Engines and Get More Traffic
- Is Blogging Dead?
- Ternyata Jutaan Komputer Mac Telah Terkena Malware Periklanan Penipuan Scammers
- Website Promotion: How to Promote Your Website or Blog
- How to Write Faster and Better?
- What Are Blog Taglines and Why Are They Important?
- All You Need to Know about PSD to HTML
- Layanan Google Inbox Akan Segera Berakhir Akhir, Google Sarankan Pengguna Beralih Ke Gmail
- How to Start an Online Clothing Store in Just a few Simple Steps
- What is HTML?
- WordPress vs. Drupal: Which is Better?
- Tools AI Terbaru Milik Facebook Akan Secara Proaktif Mendeteksi Pornografi Balas Dendam
- 8 Best Free Online Form Builders
- 5 Websites With The Best Bootstrap Tutorials
- What is Ghostwriting: Everything You Need to Know
- 6 Best CMS in 2019
- Franz: Aplikasi Hub Permesejan Semua Dalam Satu
- Cara Melangkau Google ReCAPTCHA
- 4 Website Development Best Practices to Ensure Happy Site Visitors
- What is an SVG File: Everything you Need to Know
- 5 Free Online HTML Code Validators
- What Is A Domain Name?
- [Ulasan] Misteri Dilaila: ‘Dua’ Buah Filem Yang Unik Dan Menarik
- Top 7 Blogging Platforms of 2019
- Rom-Comm Mixtape: Album Eksperimental Yang Dibuat Menggunakan Ubuntu Studio
- How to Make a Great About Me Page?
- Bersihkan Sistem Operasi Dengan BleachBit: Alternatif CCleaner
- Top 10 HTML Templates: Which HTML Template is the Best for You?
- Cara Memasang Dan Menggunakan Surfshark VPN Pada Ubuntu/Linux Mint
- 8 Best HTML5 Video Players of 2019
- 6 Reasons You Should Redesign Your Website in 2019
- Top 10 Places to Learn SQL Online
- Best Places to Learn Website Development Online
- 5 Panduan Pemasaran Berkesan Di Instagram
- Simplistic Website Design Ideas to Transform Your Online Presence
- How to Make an Ebook in 4 Easy Steps
- How to Drive Traffic to Your Website or Blog (For Free!)
- How to Make Money Blogging: A Step by Step Tutorial
- How to Write a Blog Post: A Beginners Guide
- How Much Money Do Top Bloggers Make?
- How to Find Writing Inspiration
- Inverted Pyramid in Content Writing: What Is It and How Does It Work?
- How to Become a Virtual Assistant with No Experience
- What to Blog About? + How to Start a Blog For Free
- Importance of Anchor Text [Your All-Encompassing Guide]
- Cara Buang Bloatware Dan Iklan Pada Peranti Xiaomi/Redmi Tanpa Root
- Membeli Belah ‘Di Tesco’ Tanpa Perlu Pergi Ke Tesco
- Hati-Hati! Ada Karyawan Snapchat yang Salahgunakan Posisinya Untuk Memata-Matai Pengguna
- Membuka ‘Kunci’ Katalog Netflix Mana-Mana Negara Dengan Surfshark VPN
- Your 6-Step Website Redesign Project Plan That’s Easy as Pie
- WordPress Custom Fields – What Are They and How to Use Them
- Apa Itu Pixel Binning? Adakah 48MP Dari Sensor Samsung Itu ‘Palsu’?
- Why Isn’t My Website Making Money? (And How Do I Fix It?)
- Google Hadirkan Berbagai Tools Traveling Dalam Web Baru Bernama “Trips”
- John Wick Chapter 3: Perang Mafia Berdarah!
- Redmi Note 7: Ciri Dan Nilai Terbaik Untuk Wang Anda?
- Find a Website Designer: 6 Tips for Finding the Best Website Designer
- Beautiful Websites: 6 Tips for Attractive Website Design
- EagleGet V2: Ulasan Bagi ‘Turbo Downloader’ Dan Klien Torrent 
- Cara Membuat Tetapan Ubuntu Dalam Windows 10 Menggunakan Hyper-V Manager
- Google Ad Creator: How to Use Google’s Display Ad Builder
- Internet Download Accelerator: Alternatif IDM Percuma Yang Padu
- Child’s Play: Chucky Versi Hodoh Secara Semulajadi
- How To Use Bootstrap: Tutorial for Beginners
- Cara Menonton Video 18+ (Age Restricted) Di YouTube Tanpa Menggunakan Akaun
- Akaso Brave 4: Harga Marhaen, Prestasi Seumpama GoPro?
- 9 Steps for Creating a Secure Website – Make Your Site Secure
- 6 Best WordPress Themes for Blogs [Guess What, They’re Free]
- Bagaimana Night Sight Pada Pixel/Gcam Berfungsi?
- Passwordless SSH – Everything You Need to Know
- How to Go about Guest Posting
- Ulasan Phidisk PhantomKnight 960GB SATA SSD
- The Definitive Website Accessibility Checklist
- DC Dimming, Sangat Penting Untuk Skrin AMOLED
- Linksys Velop Whole-Home Mesh WiFi: Mesh Router Merangkap ‘WiFi Booster’
- Kenapa Privasi Penting Walaupun Anda Tiada Apa Yang Hendak Disorokkan?
- Web Design vs. Web Development: Key Distinctions to Help Decide Which One You Need
- What is Robots.txt and How Does Implementing Robots.txt Affect SEO?
- The Chrome Reaper: ‘Bunuh’ Proses Yang Tidak Diperlukan Pada Chrome
- Akaso V50 Pro: Kamera Aksi Harga Mampu Milik Dengan Rakaman 4K Asli
- Android Box Patut Di”ban” Di Malaysia…
- Instagram Gunakan AI Untuk Meredam Komentar Kasar dan Bullying
- Tronsmart Element T6 Plus: Penyedap Halwa Telinga Peminat Muzik Dan Filem
- Meneliti Microsoft Edge Chromium: ‘Modded Chrome’?
- Coocaa Memasuki Pasaran Malaysia Melalui E-Dagang, Eksklusif Bersama Lazada
- TAOTRONICS SoundSurge 60 TT-BH060 : Seolah Berada Di Studio Peribadi
- What Is Responsive Web Design? (The Non-Developer’s Cheat Sheet)
- Firefox Monitor: Pantau Akaun Anda Dari Aktiviti Penggodaman
- We Dare You to Try These 6 Remarkable Website Optimization Tools
- Apa Itu ASMR?
- Apa Itu Teknologi Blue Core Dan VVA Pada Motosikal Yamaha
- Tamagotchi Gen 2: Generasi Terakhir Tamagotchi Dengan Skrin Hitam Putih?
- NordLynx: Protokol Terbaru NordVPN Berasaskan WireGuard
- Tronsmart Trim: Power Bank Yang Lebih Nipis Dari Dompet Anda
- Xiaomi Mi 9T: ‘Raja’ Ketahanan Bateri!
- Coocaa 50Q5: Televisyen Android Ultra HD 4K Dengan HDR Dan Dolby
- NZXT Mengumumkan Siri Baru H Series dan H510 Elite
- Apa Itu HTTP/3? (HTTP-Over-QUIC)
- QCY T2C: TWS Bajet Untuk Penggemar Muzik
- PsiXBot: Malware Dikuasakan Dengan DNS-Over-HTTPS Google
- Cara Mengaktifkan Perlindungan Dari Ransomware Pada Windows 10
- Microsoft Membawa Fungsi Tontonan 4K Di Netflix Pada Pelayar Berasaskan Chromium
- Cara Mengaktifkan DNS-Over-HTTPS (DoH) Pada Firefox Dan Chrome
- Mozilla Melancarkan Firefox Private Network (Firefox VPN)
- Muat Turun Pantas Tidak Bererti Akan Dapat Strim Video Dengan Lebih Baik
- OPPO A9 2020: 48MP, Quad Camera, Serta Lensa Sudut Ultra Lebar 119°
- Tronsmart Melancarkan Spunky Pro True Wireless Headphone
- Ultracopier: Penyalin Fail Percuma, Sumber Terbuka Dan Pantas!
- Xhelper Trojan: Malware Android Yang Tidak Dapat Dibuang?
- Stremio: Alternatif Terrarium TV Dan Kodi Paling Mudah Digunakan
- Website Redesign Checklist + 7 Handy Website Redesign Tips
- 7 Perkara Perlu Dilakukan Selepas Memasang Ubuntu 19.10
- Ubuntu 19.10: Linux Untuk Peminat Permainan Video?
- Cara Menggunakan Pelayar SalamWeb Bagi Mencari Arah Kiblat
- Ulasan Tronsmart Spunky Pro: TWS Berkualiti Mampu Milik
- Pelancaran Tronsmart Spunky Beat True Wireless Headphones
- Geran: Pertembungan Antara Hak Dan Batil
- Is Your Website a Failure? 3 Reasons Sites Fail (And How to Save Yours)
- Apa Itu Deep Fusion?
- EasyDoH: Pengaktifan Mudah DNS-Over-HTTPS Pada Firefox
- Joker: Naskhah Melankolia Disulam Sadis, Gelap Dan Berat
- Pay Attention to These Web Design Trends for 2020 [7+ Trends]
- Cleanmgr+: Pembersih Sistem Operasi Dan Pengganti Windows Disk Clean-Up
- Zorin OS 15 Lite: PC Tua Kembali Bernyawa Dengannya
- Cara Memindahkan Senarai Main Spotify Kepada YouTube Music
- Tronsmart Spunky Beat: TWS Untuk Audiophile?
- Linksys MR8300 Tri-Band Gaming Mesh Router: Router Untuk ‘Gamers’!
- 10 Langkah Mudah Cara Melanggan Disney+ Bagi Rakyat Malaysia
- What is a Favicon? [+4 Tips for Creating an Impactful Favicon]
- R.I.P Openload, Streamango Dan Verystream
- What is Cross-Browser Compatibility – A Guide for Beginners
- Bagaimana Cara Pixel 4 Mengambil Gambar Dengan Mode Astrophotography?